Sr. Software Engineer (Embedded)
Who is Bird
Bird is on a mission to bring environmentally friendly transportation to everyone. Our products, services, and people share one common goal: to make cities more livable by reducing gas-powered car usage, lowering carbon emissions, and improving the safety of all road users.
We are relentless in our pursuit of better—for our riders, for our partners, for our employees, and for future generations. Our award winning electric vehicles help millions of riders take carbon-free trips in more than 300 cities globally. And our teams push boundaries and challenge the status quo in pursuit of a brighter future.
We are seeking a highly skilled Senior Software Engineer with a specialty in Firmware Development to join our team. In this role, you will be responsible for developing and maintaining the firmware for our fleet of electric scooters. You will work closely with the hardware team to ensure the firmware is optimized for the hardware and meets the requirements of the scooter's design specifications. Additionally, you will be responsible for ensuring the firmware meets all relevant safety and compliance standards.
- Design, develop, and maintain firmware for in-house scooters
- Collaborate with the hardware team to optimize firmware for the scooter's hardware
- Ensure firmware meets design specifications and quality standards
- Ensure firmware meets all relevant safety and compliance standards
- Troubleshoot and debug firmware issues
- Write and maintain technical documentation for firmware development
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or a related field
- At least 5 years of experience in firmware development
- Expertise in C/C++ programming
- Experience with embedded systems development
- Experience with communication protocols such as CAN, SPI, or UART
- Experience with firmware development for electric vehicles or similar devices
- Extensive experience with Jtag/and debugging embedded code.
- Experience with hardware design and schematic interpretation, troubleshooting and debugging electrical hardware
- Advanced knowledge of Git and familiarity with running Linux tool chains
- Familiarity with Agile/Scrum methodologies
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Master's degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or a related field
- Experience with firmware development on RTOS or FreeRTOS
- Knowledge of battery management systems and power electronics
- Knowledge of PCB design, using schematic capture and layout tools
- Experience with Bluetooth and/or cellular communication protocols
- Experience with STM32 and Nordic nRF microcontrollers
- Experience with ISO-TP and UDS vehicle protocols and CAN network tools and utilities
- Experience bringing hardware product from concept to full production
Culture at Bird
We're an ambitious, smart and open-minded team that is passionate about our mission. Each day is unlike the last, as we’re constantly moving forward, challenging each other, and working together to create the future of micro-mobility.
We want people to succeed at Bird, so we give our teams plenty of time off to relax and recharge. We also offer a generous employer-paid healthcare package, pre-tax spending accounts, mental health resources, a work from home stipend, and a whole host of other out of the box benefits that meet you where you are.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you’d like to work? Sweet. Let’s chat.