Senior Software Engineer, Backend - (Platform - Identity)
At Coinbase, our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web3 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener - because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
The mission of the Platform Product Group engineers is to build a trusted, scalable and compliant platform to operate with speed, efficiency and quality. Our teams build and maintain the platforms critical to the existence of Coinbase. There are many teams that make up this group which include Product Foundations (i.e. Identity, Payment, Risk, Proofing & Regulatory, Finhub), Machine Learning, Customer Experience, and Infrastructure. We are looking for an experienced backend engineer to join our Identity team within our Platform Product Group.
The Core Identity team at Coinbase has a critical responsibility as the identity provider service for the entire organization. This team operates at T0 level and handles essential tasks such as managing user data, user grouping, authorization, and user registration services across all Coinbase platforms.
As part of the Identity organization, you will help build a unified, trusted, and secure platform for customer identity, access, and authorization for every Coinbase product and the broader web3 ecosystem. Coinbase is the market-leading crypto platform. Our customers can seamlessly and securely interact with Coinbase’s products and the broader web3 ecosystem.
Identity is a critical and uniquely challenging part of helping Coinbase succeed in creating an open financial system for the world. For web3 to thrive, we need to deliver the security of Finance 1.0 and the ease-of-access of web2. Walking the tightrope between usability and security critical to the success of Coinbase’s expanding product suite and to unlocking access to the web3 ecosystem for the next 1B+ users.
Internal job description: Identity is the first part of a product that customers experience: signing up, signing in, and creating your profile. Coinbase is no exception, with Identity being one of the only Coinbase surfaces that every customer will use and that every Coinbase product needs. As part of the Identity org, you will manage the Auth Pod. The Auth team is responsible for login across all coinbase and is a T0 service. This is a high impact and scope team across all Coinbase and the future of Web3 Decentralized identity. The team has done great work to minimize the operational load (about 3-5 pages a week), while making improvements and decomposing the login service (Unified Login). Scope of the team:
- Unified Login: Expand unified login across all Coinbase products. Unified login is a single canonical login system for every Coinbase product. As crypto scams and account takeovers become increasingly advanced and pervasive, Coinbase login is seen as a beacon of trust and security. Users feel safe using Coinbase because they can always access their crypto, the login UX is straightforward and standardized, their crypto is protected from ATO, and recovery is easy.
- Frictionless Login experience and Login flow: Maintain a successful Login success rate for users across multiple dependencies (2A, Risk, …) while reducing friction for users to login.
- Auth as and Identity Platform: Enable client teams to successfully launch their product using Coinbase identity seamlessly and quickly
- Decomp: Moving critical P0 auth flows off Monorail to Unified Login, including signin, token refresh, scope validation, Signup
- Identity platform and unified product experience: Enable seamless switching across applications and products using Unified login, Policies, user services and front end components such as App Switcher
- High Availability and Low latency of critical flow: Ensure operational excellence scope for T0 flow of Login for Coinbase
Web2+3 : Crypto passwordless login within both Web 2 (Coinbase retail) and Web 3 ecosystem
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Build new services to meet critical product and business needs using Golang.
- Design scalable systems to solve novel problems with modern cloud technology and industry best practices.
- Articulate a long term vision for maintaining and scaling our backend systems and the teams running them.
- Work with engineers, designers, product managers and senior leadership to turn our product and technical vision into a tangible roadmap every quarter.
- Write high quality, well tested code to meet the needs of your customers.
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- You have at least 5 years of experience in software engineering.
- You’ve designed, built, scaled and maintained production services, and know how to compose a service oriented architecture.
- You write high quality, well tested code to meet the needs of your customers.
- You’re passionate about building an open financial system that brings the world together.
Nice to haves:
- You have gone through a rapid growth in your company (from startup to mid-size).
- Experience with growth experiments or A/B testing frameworks.
- You have experience with Blockchain technology (such as Bitcoin, Ethereum etc..)
- You have experience decomposing a large monolith into microservices.
- You’ve worked with Golang, Ruby, Docker, Rails, Postgres, MongoDB or DynamoDB.
- You’ve built financial, high reliability or security systems.
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Know Your Rights notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please complete this intake form to let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required. For US applicants only, by submitting your application you are agreeing to arbitration of disputes as outlined here.