Senior Software Engineer - X Product Generosity
ABOUT FANDUEL GROUP
FanDuel Group is a world-class team of brands and products that deliver sports betting, gaming and entertainment to millions of US sports fans every day. That’s no easy task and wouldn't be possible without a fantastic team who have helped us pioneer new products and innovative features that make us a leader in the industry. Whether you’re looking for better career progression, improved financial security or just a better sense of belonging, we believe we’ve created a culture in which everyone can succeed, no matter how you got here.
We’re looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our Cross Product Generosity (XPG) vertical with a focus on backend development. Working horizontally across multiple products, you will build promotional solutions and features that delight our customers. We look for passionate technologists, strong communicators, and those with a commitment to continuous improvement. The ideal candidate will have the confidence to propose pragmatic solutions to complex problems and be eager to learn from and educate others. As a senior software engineer, you will work in empowered, multidisciplinary teams, autonomously tackling complex challenges that provide the very best experiences and products for a growing community of millions of players.
You use technology to solve straightforward problems, seeking input and guidance from team members. You may create or have responsibility to improve or invent small tools or applications. You can take defined design and turn it into code and deliver it on schedule, applying appropriate technologies and current software engineering best practices. You write secure, stable, testable, maintainable code with minimal defects. You make appropriate implementation trade-off decisions. You participate in team design, scoping and prioritization discussions. You seek to learn the business context and technologies behind your team's software. You work effectively other team members & identify any opportunities/problems arising from technical decisions. You invent, refine and develop your solutions to ensure they are meeting customer needs and team goals. You are a passionate advocate for your customer.
- Responsible for the state of the code you both inherit and produce.
- You write simple and extendable code following standards and best practices. You test your code thoroughly.
- You understand the maintenance characteristics, run-time properties, and dependencies or your team's software, including hardware platform, operating system and build dependencies.
- You clearly document your software to ensure that future generations of developers understand the intention behind the features and components you build.
- Out of hours support where required.
- In the event of a problem you are able to troubleshoot, research the root cause of problems, and thoroughly resolve defects.
- You will keep yourself up to date with market standards, open-source frameworks.
- Most importantly, be; humble, pragmatic, self-managed, thirsty for knowledge, never satisfied and always challenging the norm.
What We’re Looking For
- Strong coding ability with Java
- Experience with cloud-based platforms and technologies (we use AWS)
- Experience with DevOps tools and process such as CI/CD pipelines, Jenkins, BuildKite
- Experience deploying IAC with terraform or similar.
- Familiarity with configuration management e.g. Chef, Puppet, Ansible.
What You Can Expect
- Interesting work - working in a fast-paced and ever-changing industry, new problems and exciting solutions are never too far away. There are always opportunities to learn new skills and broaden your horizons
- A sense of achievement - Our teams own their own software and when that awesome new feature ships to users and the positive feedback starts rolling in, you can feel really proud of what you and your team created
- Personal development - clear and defined career pathways for every role at every level, a supportive manager, loads of learning opportunities and even 10% of your time to dedicate to your learning.
- Belonging - everyone at FanDuel works for each other, we win together, make mistakes together and have lots of fun doing it.
- Trust - A trusting work environment where productivity is valued above all else, giving you autonomy and ownership of your time and work
- Great financial package - Including salary, bonus, pension, private healthcare, share save scheme, flexible working & holiday policy along with a number of other benefits.
The Interview Process
Recruiter screen phone call (20-30 mins)
- Paired programming task in a Java environment (1 hour)
- System-design interview (1 hour)
- Competency based questions interview (1 hour)
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
FanDuel is an equal opportunities employer. Diversity and inclusion in FanDuel means that we respect and value everyone as individuals. We don't tolerate bias, judgement or harassment. Our focus is on developing employees so that they reach their full potential.
The requirements listed in our job descriptions are guidelines, not hard and fast rules. You don’t have to satisfy every requirement or meet every qualification listed. If your skills are transferable and you are in the ballpark experience-wise, we'd love to speak to you!
Location: Our Scottish tech hub is based in central Edinburgh and is fitted with fabulous amenities including a Gym, showers, bike parking, gaming pods, multiple breakout areas, meeting rooms, a roof terrace and much more. We operate a hybrid model for the majority of our roles, where team members come together at the hub as required.
Applicants should be willing to travel to our Edinburgh Tech Hub from time to time.