Principal Software Engineer
FanDuel Group is a world-class team of brands and products that deliver sports betting, gaming and entertainment to millions of US sports fans every day. That’s no easy task, and wouldn't be possible without a fantastic team who have helped us pioneer new products and innovative features that make us a leader in the industry. Whether you’re looking for better career progression, improved financial security or just a better sense of belonging, we believe we’ve created a culture in which everyone can succeed, no matter how you got here.
FanDuel is looking for a Principal Engineer to join our Cross Product Generosity (XPG) vertical where the teams are building new products, features and services for our promotions platform. These teams are mission-critical for FanDuel and have significant future investment.
You will be a technical thought leader for the Engineering organisation and part of the community of our most senior Engineers, working with limited to no guidance and focusing on FanDuel's most complex, ambiguous problems as well as driving decisions around programming languages, architecture, products, tools, approaches and processes. As part of this role, you own the technical strategy for an engineering vertical, with responsibility for technical architecture and operational excellence.
- Coach and mentor Lead Software Engineers
- Ensure services and platforms are stable and scalable whilst future proofing our technology
- Be the subject matter expert and voice of the technical roadmap and champion of technical initiatives
- You will be involved in technical design, roadmaps and strategy but prepared to write code and paired program with engineers
What We’re Looking For
We’re looking for someone with experience influencing technical decisions across large scale Engineering organisations and are comfortable creating and presenting a technical road map. You’ll be comfortable working at a strategic level across architecture and design but also able to write code and deliver a feature, performance or scalability to provide overall technical leadership.
- Your technical background will have had exposure to Java, AWS and potentially Lambdas or Kafka
- Expert level understanding of design patterns and architectural principles
- Demonstrated abilities driving operational excellence and best practices through influence
What You Can Expect
- Interesting work - working in a fast-paced and ever-changing industry, new problems and exciting solutions are never too far away. There are always opportunities to learn new skills and broaden your horizons
- A sense of achievement - Our teams own their own software and when that awesome new feature ships to users and the positive feedback starts rolling in, you can feel really proud of what you and your team created
- Personal development - clear and defined career pathways for every role at every level, a supportive manager, loads of learning opportunities and even 10% of your time to dedicate to your learning
- Belonging - everyone at FanDuel works for each other, we win together, make mistakes together and have lots of fun doing it
- Trust - A trusting work environment where productivity is valued above all else, giving you autonomy and ownership of your time and work
- Great financial package - Including salary, bonus, pension, private healthcare, share save scheme, flexible working & holiday policy along with a number of other benefits
The Interview Process
- Interview with Talent Acquisition
- Hiring Manager Interview - Discussion based interview and Programming exercise
- Face to Face Interview - Discussion based interviews and System Design exercise
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
FanDuel is an equal opportunities employer. Diversity and inclusion in FanDuel means that we respect and value everyone as individuals. We don't tolerate bias, judgement or harassment. Our focus is on developing employees so that they reach their full potential.
The requirements listed in our job descriptions are guidelines, not hard and fast rules. You don’t have to satisfy every requirement or meet every qualification listed. If your skills are transferable and you are in the ballpark experience-wise, we'd love to speak to you!
Location: Our Scottish tech hub is based in central Edinburgh and is fitted with fabulous amenities including a Gym, showers, bike parking, gaming pods, multiple breakout areas, meeting rooms, a roof terrace and much more. We operate a hybrid model for the majority of our roles, where we normally spend a day or two in the office per week.