Engineering Manager, Infrastructure
Alma is on a mission to simplify access to high-quality, affordable mental health care. We do this by making it easy and financially rewarding for therapists to accept insurance and offer in-network care. When a provider joins Alma, they gain access to a suite of tools that not only help them better run their business, but also grow it sustainably and develop as a provider. Alma is available in all 50 states, with over 11,000 therapists in our growing network. Anyone looking for a therapist can browse Alma’s free directory. Alma has raised $220.5M in funding from Insight Partners, Optum Ventures, Tusk Venture Partners, Primary Venture Partners, Sound Ventures, BoxGroup, Cigna Ventures, and Rainfall Ventures. Alma was also named one of Inc’s Best Workplaces in 2022.
Engineering Manager, Infrastructure
Alma is seeking a mission-driven Engineering Manager, Infrastructure to join our team. We are dedicated to designing, implementing, and maintaining Alma’s technology infrastructure. In this role, you will build services and tools that solve real problems for Alma’s engineering team. The ideal candidate can recognize that successful software development requires communication, experimentation, and iteration.
On this growing team, you will have a strong hand in defining the underlying systems that Alma's engineering uses to deliver software and data products. The ideal person for this role loves to work with other teams to design and build amazing systems.
What you’ll do:
- Gain a deep understanding of the software development process at Alma and how the engineering team operates
- Grow and develop an incredible team of hardworking, collaborative, and motivated engineers who have high expectations around individual ownership and impact
- Set direction for the team, anticipating scalability, performance, and security challenges via thoughtful long-term planning
- Collaborate with teammates on Platform, as well as Product Managers and peers from feature teams, to understand and prioritize solutions for practical problems facing Alma engineers
- Design, develop, and implement systems, processes, and tools to improve the experience and efficiency of the engineering team’s development process. (Developers environment, testing environment, deployment pipeline)
- Work to maintain, simplify and reinvent the systems underlying the application platform, such as our job queues, caching layers, error handling, monitoring and alerting. Technologies you’ll be working with include AWS, S3, nginx, Ansible, Docker, Terraform, Elasticsearch, Prometheus, Django, Celery, Redis, SQL, and Redshift.
- Continually research current and emerging technologies, proposing changes where most impactful.
Who you are:
- You have 4+ years of experience working with web technologies and frameworks, with 1+ years of combined tech leadership and people management
- You’ve previously led and/or managed a team of 3 or more engineers.
- You have extensive experience with web technologies. We are language agnostic in our interviews but require experience with one or more common web frameworks.
- You have a proficient understanding of code versioning tools, such as Git.
- You have worked with scaling challenges in previous roles and have implemented best practices around scaling.
- You’re a systems thinker, concerned not only with individual component parts but with how those parts work together holistically.
- You’re pragmatic, recognizing that, while there are multiple approaches to solving a problem, it is important to weigh practicality over theory when decision-making.
- You possess a clear and engaging communication style with a track record of building positive relationships across a broad diverse organization with engineers as well as non-technical stakeholders.
- You have experience demonstrating DEI best practices in both your leadership style and while leading recruiting processes to build out an inclusive team.
- You feel a passion for Alma's mission – to improve the experience of therapy for providers and their clients, and simplify access to care.
- We’re a remote-first company
- Health insurance plans through Cigna (medical and dental) and MetLife (vision), including FSA & HSA plans
- 401k plan (Roth and traditional)
- Free Alma platform access
- Monthly therapy and wellness stipends
- Monthly co-working space membership stipend
- Monthly work-from-home stipend to power your wifi, lunches, coffee, etc
- Pet discount program through United Pet Care
- Financial perks and rewards through BenefitHub
- Free EAP access through LifeWorks
- One-time home office stipend to set up your home office
- Comprehensive parental leave plans
- 9 paid holidays, 1 Alma Mental Health Day, and 1 Alma Volunteering Day
- Unlimited PTO
Salary Band: $170,000 - $200,000
Alma’s compensation philosophy is driven by our company value of building equity. To best ensure pay equity, we typically bring in new hires near the middle of our listed salary bands and we do not negotiate our compensation (i.e. all people hired at the same level & role are brought in at the same salary, equity, and benefits). The recruiter you work with can provide more details on our philosophy.
All Alma jobs are listed on our careers page. We do not use outside applications or automated text messaging in our recruiting process. We will not ask for any sensitive financial or identification information throughout the recruiting process. Any communication during the recruitment process, including interview requests or job offers, will come directly from a recruiting team member with a helloalma.com email address.