Sensor Hardware Engineer
Mountain View, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2023
Kodiak Robotics has built the best self-driving technology purpose-built for long-haul trucks and defense applications. We care deeply because this technology will save lives and transform the freight industry. Lauded by commercial partners as the safest and most capable autonomous freight solution on the market, the Kodiak team is ushering in a new era of transportation. We’re led by many of the self-driving industry’s leading minds, who have built Kodiak’s technology from day one to be deployable and scalable. This includes Kodiak’s unique modular hardware approach that integrates sensors into a streamlined sensor-pod structure, optimizing for perception, scalability, and maintainability. The company delivers freight daily for its customers across the country, for some of the biggest names in trucking and most recognizable brands. Over the past year and a half, we announced commercial partnerships with a range of companies including IKEA, Pilot Company, Werner Enterprises, Forward, U.S. Xpress, and CEVA Logistics. We have demonstrated fundamental tech differentiators such as an on-road fallback, maintaining control of a truck after a catastrophic steer tire blowout, and our hot-swappable SensorPod.
We are looking for a Sensor Hardware Engineer to join the Kodiak Hardware Team to help develop world-class sensor systems for autonomous trucking.
In this role you will:
- Define use cases and requirements for the autonomous-driving sensor suite, including cameras, lidar, radar, and near-range sensors.
- Research and evaluate the latest in autonomous-driving sensor technologies.
- Develop and execute hands-on sensor tests to help define vehicle architecture and improve perception performance.
- Assist with sensor integration onto the vehicle and debugging issues that arise.
- Design and evaluate sensor cleaning systems to enable vehicles to drive thousands of miles delivering freight.
- Manage relationships with contract manufacturers, suppliers, and external partners.
- Work with the perception team to identify, understand, and solve sensor performance issues.
What you'll bring:
- Strong technical background. BS or MS, or equivalent experience, in Physics, Mechanical Engineering, Robotics, or related fields with 5+ years of experience in the automotive, aerospace or related industry.
- Autonomous-driving sensor experience a plus. (LiDAR, Radar, Camera, IMUs, etc.)
- Software experience such as CAD, Matlab, etc., (especially for data analysis) is a plus but not required.
- A team leader. Whether formally or informally, you have previously played the lead role on several projects. You take ownership and drive the team to deliver exceptional results
- Proven ability to build and iterate quickly. You have experienced in industry or internships with the product development life cycle in all of its stages and are comfortable in the earlier stages – moving from zero to one.
- Hands on. You are just as comfortable with a wrench as a keyboard. You have a deep understanding of manufacturing processes for both low and high volume production.
- Great communicator. You have experience writing clear, concise, and detailed documentation. You are skilled in leading and participating in cross-functional design reviews.
What we offer:
- Competitive compensation package including equity and biannual bonuses
- Excellent Medical, Dental, and Vision plans through Kaiser Permanente, Anthem, and Guardian (including a medical plan with infertility benefits)
- Flexible PTO and generous parental leave policies
- Office perks: dog-friendly, free catered lunch, a fully stocked kitchen, and free EV charging
- Long Term Disability, Short Term Disability, Life Insurance
- Wellbeing Benefits - Headspace, One Medical, Gympass, Spring Health
- Fidelity 401(k)
- Commuter, FSA, Dependent Care FSA, HSA
- Various incentive programs (referral bonuses, patent bonuses, etc.)
The salary range for this full-time position is $150,000-$190,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. We can share more about the specific salary range for your job level during the hiring process. Please note that the compensation details listed above are base salary only and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits.
At Kodiak, we strive to build a diverse community working towards our common company goals in a safe and collaborative environment where harassment of any kind is strictly prohibited. Kodiak is committed to equal opportunity employment regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
In alignment with its business operations, Kodiak adheres to all relevant U.S. national security statutes, regulations, and administrative prerequisites. These statutes may impose limitations on Kodiak's capacity to engage specific individuals in particular roles based on various national security-related criteria. Consequently, the eligibility for this position may hinge on Kodiak's verification of a candidate's residence, U.S. person status, and/or citizenship status. In accordance with these statutes , Kodiak may find it necessary to secure a U.S. government export license before disseminating its technologies to specific individuals. Should Kodiak determine that a candidate's residence, U.S. person status, and/or citizenship status necessitate a license, prohibit the candidate from assuming this position, or otherwise fall under national security-related restrictions, Kodiak explicitly retains the right to either assess the candidate for an alternative position unaffected by such restrictions, under terms and conditions set forth at Kodiak's sole discretion, or, as an alternative, opt not to proceed with the candidate's application.