Senior AI/ML Systems Architect - Next-Gen Deep Learning Platforms
Software Engineering, IT, Data Science
Mountain View, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, November 2, 2023
Kodiak Robotics has built the best self-driving technology purpose-built for long-haul trucks and defense applications. We care deeply because this technology will save lives and transform the freight industry. Lauded by commercial partners as the safest and most capable autonomous freight solution on the market, the Kodiak team is ushering in a new era of transportation. We’re led by many of the self-driving industry’s leading minds, who have built Kodiak’s technology from day one to be deployable and scalable. This includes Kodiak’s unique modular hardware approach that integrates sensors into a streamlined sensor-pod structure, optimizing for perception, scalability, and maintainability. The company delivers freight daily for its customers across the country, for some of the biggest names in trucking and most recognizable brands. Over the past year and a half, we announced commercial partnerships with a range of companies including IKEA, Pilot Company, Werner Enterprises, Forward, U.S. Xpress, and CEVA Logistics. We have demonstrated fundamental tech differentiators such as an on-road fallback, maintaining control of a truck after a catastrophic steer tire blowout, and our hot-swappable SensorPod.
We are looking for an AI/ML Systems Architect with excellent software development skills to join our Machine Learning team. The role involves building and optimizing our world-class deep learning training, evaluation, and deployment infrastructure that underpins the perception systems of our self-driving semi trucks. Proficiency in Python and C++ is essential as you work to enhance our training pipelines and drive forward the reliability and efficiency of our autonomous vehicle technology.
In this role, you will:
- Drive the architecture and deployment of next-generation deep learning models, forming the backbone of groundbreaking AI solutions and revolutionizing problem-solving approaches.
- Apply Python and C++ skills in distributed computing to evolve high-performance AI training pipelines, enhancing the user experience and elevating system efficiency in AI applications.
- Develop new metrics and monitoring for model benchmarking, along with systems for failure detection, insightful visualizations, and predictive improvements, contributing significantly to the AI field.
- Play a crucial role in improving AI learning processes through sophisticated training data selection and synthesis, and apply advanced techniques to boost the performance and efficiency of deep learning networks.
- Engage in a dynamic, collaborative environment, focusing on AI/ML innovation with continuous integration and deployment, backed by state-of-the-art resources and a culture fostering creativity and continuous learning.
- Strong academic or industry background with a degree (BS, MS, or PhD) in deep learning, machine learning, or data analytics infrastructure, a strong software development background, and proficiency in Python and C++.
- Exceptional problem-solving skills with a proven track record in building reliable, scalable applications and advanced software engineering.
- Experience in metrics, data analysis, and scientific evaluation, especially in autonomous systems, coupled with hands-on experience in managing machine learning pipelines in a production environment.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively, taking ownership, working towards shared goals within a team, and quickly building and refining systems.
- Competence in developing durable infrastructure components from scratch, with the ability to clearly and concisely articulate complex technical issues and strong documentation skills.
What we can offer:
- Competitive compensation package, including equity and biannual bonuses.
- Comprehensive healthcare plans with options through Kaiser Permanente, Anthem, and Guardian, with benefits like medical coverage with infertility benefits.
- Flexible PTO and generous parental leave policies.
- Office perks, including a dog-friendly environment, free catered lunches, a fully stocked kitchen, and free EV charging.
- Long Term Disability, Short Term Disability, Life Insurance.
- Wellbeing Benefits: Headspace, One Medical, Gympass, Spring Health.
- Fidelity 401(k) plan.
- Commuter, FSA, Dependent Care FSA, HSA.
- Various incentive programs, including referral bonuses and patent bonuses.
The annual salary range for this full-time position is $150,000-$230,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. We can share more about the specific salary range for your job level during the hiring process. Please note that the compensation details listed above are base salary only and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits.
At Kodiak, we strive to build a diverse community working towards our common company goals in a safe and collaborative environment where harassment of any kind is strictly prohibited. Kodiak is committed to equal opportunity employment regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
In alignment with its business operations, Kodiak adheres to all relevant U.S. national security statutes, regulations, and administrative prerequisites. These statutes may impose limitations on Kodiak's capacity to engage specific individuals in particular roles based on various national security-related criteria. Consequently, the eligibility for this position may hinge on Kodiak's verification of a candidate's residence, U.S. person status, and/or citizenship status. In accordance with these statutes , Kodiak may find it necessary to secure a U.S. government export license before disseminating its technologies to specific individuals. Should Kodiak determine that a candidate's residence, U.S. person status, and/or citizenship status necessitate a license, prohibit the candidate from assuming this position, or otherwise fall under national security-related restrictions, Kodiak explicitly retains the right to either assess the candidate for an alternative position unaffected by such restrictions, under terms and conditions set forth at Kodiak's sole discretion, or, as an alternative, opt not to proceed with the candidate's application.