Summer 2024 Intern, Hardware Engineer
Mountain View, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2024
Kodiak was founded in April 2018 to develop autonomous technology that carries freight forward—so people, partners, and the planet thrive. Navigating highway environments presents vastly different challenges than urban streets. Kodiak’s experienced team has developed the industry’s most advanced technology stack purpose-built specifically for long-haul trucks. From our sensor fusion system that maximizes the value of every sensing modality, to our unique lightweight mapping solution that allows our trucks to navigate ever-changing highway construction zones, our world-class team of industry pioneers is bringing the benefits of autonomy to the $800B a year trucking industry quickly, safely, and efficiently.
We are looking for a Hardware Engineering Intern to help develop the Kodiak vehicle platform. The role will work closely with the hardware engineering team developing, testing, and integrating sensors and compute into Class 8 heavy duty vehicles. The role will give you experience in the process of building an autonomous vehicle from the ground up.
In this role, you will:
- Design and test structural components for automating sensor calibration.
- Collect and analyze sensor data in support of automatic sensor calibration software development.
- Design hardware for fault injection testing on vehicle HIL systems and execute system validation test plans.
- Lead root cause analysis and resolve issues in AV vehicle HIL systems.
- Interface closely with other teams such as Software, Mechanical, Manufacturing, and Operations
- Strong technical background, currently working on a BS in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering. 2 yrs college experience at a minimum.
- Extensive project experience. Extra curricular groups such as Formula SAE or Baja are a plus.
- An intuitive technical mind able to investigate and solve problems in a structured manner.
- Hands on. You are just as comfortable getting your hands dirty analyzing a subsystem in the shop as when using a keyboard.
- Great communicator. You have experience writing clear, concise, and detailed documentation
- Passion. You are passionate about autonomous vehicles and their potential impact on humanity
Internship Program Details:
- Start Date: May/June 2024.
- Our internship program is 12-16 weeks; the end date is flexible based on individual needs.
- Location: Mountain View, CA.
- Housing: interns are responsible for housing.
What We Offer:
- A fast paced environment where we work with talented, committed and supportive teammates.
- Competitive pay.
- Excellent medical, dental and vision benefits.
- A beautiful facility in Mountain View.
- We love our dogs, so we are a dog friendly office!
- Free catered lunch.
The monthly range for this intern position is $7,500 - $8,000 . Our salary ranges are determined by role, level and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. We can share more about the specific salary range for your job level during the hiring process. Please note that the compensation details listed above are base salary only and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits.
At Kodiak, we strive to build a diverse community working towards our common company goals in a safe and collaborative environment where harassment of any kind is strictly prohibited. Kodiak is committed to equal opportunity employment regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
In alignment with its business operations, Kodiak adheres to all relevant U.S. national security statutes, regulations, and administrative prerequisites. These statutes may impose limitations on Kodiak's capacity to engage specific individuals in particular roles based on various national security-related criteria. Consequently, the eligibility for this position may hinge on Kodiak's verification of a candidate's residence, U.S. person status, and/or citizenship status. In accordance with these statutes , Kodiak may find it necessary to secure a U.S. government export license before disseminating its technologies to specific individuals. Should Kodiak determine that a candidate's residence, U.S. person status, and/or citizenship status necessitate a license, prohibit the candidate from assuming this position, or otherwise fall under national security-related restrictions, Kodiak explicitly retains the right to either assess the candidate for an alternative position unaffected by such restrictions, under terms and conditions set forth at Kodiak's sole discretion, or, as an alternative, opt not to proceed with the candidate's application.