Summer 2024 Intern, Data Science
Mountain View, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2024
Kodiak was founded in April 2018 to develop autonomous technology that carries freight forward—so people, partners, and the planet thrive. Navigating highway environments present vastly different challenges than urban streets. Kodiak’s experienced team has developed the industry’s most advanced technology stack purpose-built specifically for long-haul trucks. From our sensor fusion system that maximizes the value of every sensing modality to our unique lightweight mapping solution that allows our trucks to navigate ever-changing highway construction zones, our world-class team of industry pioneers is bringing the benefits of autonomy to the $800B a year trucking industry quickly, safely, and efficiently.
We are looking for a highly skilled Data Science Intern to join us and solve real-world robotics problems. Our ideal candidates exhibit a can-do attitude and approach their work with vigor and determination. Candidates will be expected to demonstrate excellence in their respective fields and possess the ability to learn quickly in a fast-paced environment.
In this role, you will:
- Define and validate metrics to accurately measure autonomy performance and evaluation system trustworthiness.
- Facilitate development of our data platform and ensure cleanliness. Create a data view that is clean and metrics are thus reliable on this dataset.
- Correlate performance of the Kodiak Driver on-road with simulation results.
- Work closely with other teams and ensure the team is supported with data necessary to make timely, informed decisions
- BS, MS or PhD in Computer Science, Statistics, Operations Research or related quantitative technical fields.
- Strong understanding of data aggregation and interrogation statistics metrics implementation & underlying mathematical/statistical principles
- Ability to communicate complex data in a simple, actionable way
- Practical knowledge of common data analysis, inference, and statistical modeling tools, using Python and SQL
- Take ownership and enjoy working with the team to deliver actionable results.
- Internship experience using machine learning or statistical analysis to build data-driven product solutions or developing methodological research.
- Experience utilizing data engineering to ETL for downstream data analysis.
- Familiarity with version control system like Git, ensuring efficient collaboration and code management.
- Experience with modeling quantities of interest as random variables using distributions and uncertainty quantification (in general)
Internship Program Details:
- Start Date: May/June 2024.
- Our internship program is 12-16 weeks; the end date is flexible based on individual needs.
- Location: Mountain View, CA.
- Housing: interns are responsible for housing.
What We Offer:
- A fast paced environment where we work with talented, committed and supportive teammates.
- Competitive pay.
- Excellent medical, dental and vision benefits.
- A beautiful facility in Mountain View.
- We love our dogs, so we are a dog friendly office!
- Free catered lunch.
The monthly range for this intern position is $9,166-$10,000. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. We can share more about the specific salary range for your job level during the hiring process. Please note that the compensation details listed above are base salary only and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits.
At Kodiak, we strive to build a diverse community working towards our common company goals in a safe and collaborative environment where harassment of any kind is strictly prohibited. Kodiak is committed to equal opportunity employment regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
In alignment with its business operations, Kodiak adheres to all relevant U.S. national security statutes, regulations, and administrative prerequisites. These statutes may impose limitations on Kodiak's capacity to engage specific individuals in particular roles based on various national security-related criteria. Consequently, the eligibility for this position may hinge on Kodiak's verification of a candidate's residence, U.S. person status, and/or citizenship status. In accordance with these statutes , Kodiak may find it necessary to secure a U.S. government export license before disseminating its technologies to specific individuals. Should Kodiak determine that a candidate's residence, U.S. person status, and/or citizenship status necessitate a license, prohibit the candidate from assuming this position, or otherwise fall under national security-related restrictions, Kodiak explicitly retains the right to either assess the candidate for an alternative position unaffected by such restrictions, under terms and conditions set forth at Kodiak's sole discretion, or, as an alternative, opt not to proceed with the candidate's application.