Senior Software Engineer, Simulation
Mountain View, CA, USA
Posted on Monday, February 5, 2024
Kodiak was founded in April 2018 to develop autonomous technology that carries freight forward—so people, partners, and the planet thrive. Navigating highway environments presents vastly different challenges than urban streets. Kodiak’s experienced team has developed the industry’s most advanced technology stack purpose-built specifically for long-haul trucks. From our sensor fusion system that maximizes the value of every sensing modality, to our unique lightweight mapping solution that allows our trucks to navigate ever-changing highway construction zones, our world-class team of industry pioneers is bringing the benefits of autonomy to the $800B a year trucking industry quickly, safely, and efficiently.
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join us to help design, architect, implement, and maintain our simulation capabilities.
In this role, you will:
- Own the integration between our simulation platform and all critical pieces of our autonomy stack
- Work with our technical leads and subject matter experts to engineer novel ways of testing and evaluating our algorithms, including for edge cases and rare events
- Develop new features to improve the fidelity of our simulation results and implement novel evaluation metrics for measuring the performance of our self-driving stack
- Write maintainable, clear, and concise code
- Coordinate with our external partners to drive new features and integrate them with our internal workflows
Let's chat if you have the following:
- Strong technical background (BS, MS, PhD or equivalent professional experience) in Computer Science or a closely related engineering field
- Excellent software developer with at least 3 years of experience writing production-level C++ code
- High standards for software quality and rigor, and a testing-oriented mentality
- Good communication skills and a collaborative bent
- Proven ability to iterate quickly and work hands-on
- Desire to learn about all aspects of autonomous vehicles
Bonus points if you have:
- Hands-on knowledge of one or more autonomous vehicle simulators
- Knowledge of modern C++ (c++14 and newer) and version control systems (e.g., git)
- Practical experience in one or more fields of robotics: perception, planning, localization, modeling, control, etc.
- An interest in defining autonomy metrics and evaluation strategies
- Experience with modern DevOps
What we offer:
- Competitive compensation package including equity and biannual bonuses
- Excellent Medical, Dental, and Vision plans through Kaiser Permanente, Anthem, and Guardian (including a medical plan with infertility benefits)
- Flexible PTO and generous parental leave policies
- Office perks: dog-friendly, free catered lunch, a fully stocked kitchen, and free EV charging
- Long Term Disability, Short Term Disability, Life Insurance
- Wellbeing Benefits - Headspace, One Medical, Gympass, Spring Health
- Fidelity 401(k)
- Commuter, FSA, Dependent Care FSA, HSA
- Various incentive programs (referral bonuses, patent bonuses, etc.)
The salary range for this full-time position is $175,000-$230,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. We can share more about the specific salary range for your job level during the hiring process. Please note that the compensation details listed above are base salary only and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits.
At Kodiak, we strive to build a diverse community working towards our common company goals in a safe and collaborative environment where harassment of any kind is strictly prohibited. Kodiak is committed to equal opportunity employment regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
In alignment with its business operations, Kodiak adheres to all relevant U.S. national security statutes, regulations, and administrative prerequisites. These statutes may impose limitations on Kodiak's capacity to engage specific individuals in particular roles based on various national security-related criteria. Consequently, the eligibility for this position may hinge on Kodiak's verification of a candidate's residence, U.S. person status, and/or citizenship status. In accordance with these statutes , Kodiak may find it necessary to secure a U.S. government export license before disseminating its technologies to specific individuals. Should Kodiak determine that a candidate's residence, U.S. person status, and/or citizenship status necessitate a license, prohibit the candidate from assuming this position, or otherwise fall under national security-related restrictions, Kodiak explicitly retains the right to either assess the candidate for an alternative position unaffected by such restrictions, under terms and conditions set forth at Kodiak's sole discretion, or, as an alternative, opt not to proceed with the candidate's application.