Software Engineer, Controls
Mountain View, CA, USA
Posted on Monday, February 5, 2024
Kodiak was founded in April 2018 to develop autonomous technology that carries freight forward—so people, partners, and the planet thrive. Navigating highway environments presents vastly different challenges than urban streets. Kodiak’s experienced team has developed the industry’s most advanced technology stack purpose-built specifically for long-haul trucks. From our sensor fusion system that maximizes the value of every sensing modality, to our unique lightweight mapping solution that allows our trucks to navigate ever-changing highway construction zones, our world-class team of industry pioneers is bringing the benefits of autonomy to the $800B a year trucking industry quickly, safely, and efficiently.
We are looking for an experienced Controls Software Engineer who is passionate about safety-critical systems to join our Motion Planning & Controls team.
In this role, you will:
- Be responsible for designing and implementing our feedback, control, and actuation strategies using both established & novel techniques
- Architect, develop, and test reliable, redundant, and safety-critical software that controls fully-loaded trucks driving on the road
- Characterize the vehicle platform (e.g., steering, braking, throttle/engine management, dynamics) to develop models that can be used for precise motion planning, simulation, and controls
- Work on fundamental problems in redundant actuation, degraded operation, and fail-safe control
- Collaborate with other teams at Kodiak (e.g. hardware, motion planning, and systems engineering) to deliver a robust vehicle control architecture (for example: requirement specifications, test plans, test documentation, and implemented testing at all levels of integration)
Let's talk if you have:
- A strong background in robotics, controls, optimization, and mathematics (MS, PhD, or equivalent experience)
- Developed, tested, and tuned controllers for mobile autonomous robots, ideally trucks, cars, or flying vehicles
- Performed system identification, modeling, simulation, or other characterization for systems with complex dynamics
- A strong theoretical foundation paired with practical experience in controls, system modeling, and/or redundant architectures
- A focus on end-to-end vehicle safety
- Software development experience writing production-level C or C++
Bonus points if you have:
- Experience with software design and implementation in safety-critical domains (e.g. automotive, aerospace, medical, etc)
- Written low-level drivers for software/hardware interfacing using protocols such as CAN or ethernet
- Written efficient code running on resource-constrained embedded systems with a real-time operating system
- Experience with formal verification methods, writing requirements, and systems engineering processes
- Comfortable with Python, Matlab/Simulink, or other simulation/analysis tools used in feedback system design
What we offer:
- Competitive compensation package including equity and biannual bonuses
- Excellent Medical, Dental, and Vision plans through Kaiser Permanente, Anthem, and Guardian (including a medical plan with infertility benefits)
- Flexible PTO and generous parental leave policies
- Office perks: dog-friendly, free catered lunch, a fully stocked kitchen, and free EV charging
- Long Term Disability, Short Term Disability, Life Insurance
- Wellbeing Benefits - Headspace, One Medical, Gympass, Spring Health
- Fidelity 401(k)
- Commuter, FSA, Dependent Care FSA, HSA
- Various incentive programs (referral bonuses, patent bonuses, etc.)
The annual salary range for this full-time position is $175,000-$230,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. We can share more about the specific salary range for your job level during the hiring process. Please note that the compensation details listed above are base salary only and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits.
At Kodiak, we strive to build a diverse community working towards our common company goals in a safe and collaborative environment where harassment of any kind is strictly prohibited. Kodiak is committed to equal opportunity employment regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
In alignment with its business operations, Kodiak adheres to all relevant U.S. national security statutes, regulations, and administrative prerequisites. These statutes may impose limitations on Kodiak's capacity to engage specific individuals in particular roles based on various national security-related criteria. Consequently, the eligibility for this position may hinge on Kodiak's verification of a candidate's residence, U.S. person status, and/or citizenship status. In accordance with these statutes , Kodiak may find it necessary to secure a U.S. government export license before disseminating its technologies to specific individuals. Should Kodiak determine that a candidate's residence, U.S. person status, and/or citizenship status necessitate a license, prohibit the candidate from assuming this position, or otherwise fall under national security-related restrictions, Kodiak explicitly retains the right to either assess the candidate for an alternative position unaffected by such restrictions, under terms and conditions set forth at Kodiak's sole discretion, or, as an alternative, opt not to proceed with the candidate's application.