Senior Privacy Counsel
Remote · New York, NY, USA
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2023
Who We Are
Ro is a direct-to-patient healthcare company with a mission of helping as many patients as possible achieve their health goals. Ro is the only company to offer telehealth care, at-home diagnostic testing, labs, and pharmacy services nationwide. This is enabled by Ro's vertically integrated platform that helps patients achieve their goals through a convenient end-to-end healthcare experience spanning from diagnosis, to delivery of medication, to ongoing care. Since 2017, Ro has helped millions of patients in nearly every single county in the United States, including 98% of primary care deserts.
Ro was recognized as a CNBC Disruptor 50 in 2022, listed by Inc. Magazine as a Best Place to Work in 2022 for our third consecutive year, and named one of FORTUNE's 2022 Best Medium Workplaces.
As Senior Privacy Counsel, you’ll be Ro’s in-house expert on privacy law and compliance. You’ll be a key member of the Legal team reporting to the General Counsel. You’ll provide risk-based expert analysis to a dynamic group of cross-functional stakeholders on privacy-related matters that emerge in product development, marketing, and other high priority strategic initiatives. You’ll monitor emerging privacy legislation and help develop Ro’s government relations strategy. You’ll ensure Ro complies with its privacy obligations by maintaining a strong governance program and partnering with the business to build compliance into Ro’s operations.
What You'll Do:
- Act as lead attorney and subject matter expert on all matters relating to privacy law.
- Advise the product, marketing, and other business teams on compliance with privacy legislation and regulations in Ro’s day-to-day operations, new product launches, and strategic initiatives.
- Lead the development of Ro’s privacy governance framework, policies, and standards for the business, including employee privacy training, and manage its implementation.
- Collaborate with Ro’s security and engineering teams to manage Ro’s data access request and consent management systems.
- Partner with security to investigate and remediate privacy issues as necessary, including determining whether any breach notifications are necessary.
- Actively monitor and brief leadership on emerging privacy legislation and own privacy-related government relations work, including working with external lobbyists and consultants on Ro’s government relations strategy.
What You'll Bring to the Team:
- An attorney with a JD and admission to a state bar
- A minimum of eight years of experience, including ideally at least three years of in-house experience, focused on privacy law matters
- Comprehensive understanding of state data privacy laws, like CCPA and VCDPA
- Comprehensive understanding of HIPAA and similar state health information privacy laws
- Experience at a high growth company, preferably in the direct-to-consumer space
- Experience advising on privacy compliance in marketing
- CIPP or similar privacy certification preferred
We've Got You Covered:
- Full medical, dental, and vision insurance + OneMedical membership
- Healthcare and Dependent Care FSA
- 401(k) with company match
- Flexible PTO
- Wellbeing + Learning & Growth reimbursements
- Paid parental leave + Fertility benefits
- Pet insurance
- Student loan refinancing
- Virtual resources for mindfulness, counseling, fitness, and physical therapy
The target base salary for this position ranges from $176,800 to $213,000, in addition to a competitive equity and benefits package (as applicable). When determining compensation, we analyze and carefully consider several factors, including location, job-related knowledge, skills and experience. These considerations may cause your compensation to vary.
Ro recognizes the power of in-person collaboration, while supporting the flexibility to work anywhere in the United States. For our Ro’ers in the tri-state (NY) area, you will join us at HQ on Tuesdays and Thursdays. For those outside of the tri-state area, you will be able to join in-person collaborations throughout the year (i.e., during team on-sites).
At Ro, we believe that our diverse perspectives are our biggest strengths — and that embracing them will create real change in healthcare. As an equal opportunity employer, we provide equal opportunity in all aspects of employment, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, training and promotion, termination, and any other terms and conditions of employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, familial status, age, disability and/or any other legally protected classification protected by federal, state, or local law.